Helping the Helpers: Don’t take it personally
In the fourth of our series about helping in a crisis, we talk to one of our brilliant Coordinators, Natalie Holmes, about not taking things personally.
– When people are stressed and anxious they can take that out on the helper because you can become a target for their frustrations
– It can make you doubt yourself and you can get defensive
– So be aware that their frustrations are normal when people are vulnerable and in need but you can diffuse the situation by not taking it personally
– Don’t expect everyone to be grateful for what you are doing!
– Keep your head and keep reminding yourself that they are frustrated at the situation rather than you
You can view all the videos in the series here.
Tell us what you think, ask us anything, please like and share this video!