Volunteer story: Jorge (Oct 16)

[Español abajo]
In the summer of 2009, just a year and a half before the war started, I planned with friends a backpacking trip through the Middle East, visiting Lebanon, Jordan and Syria. They turned out to be a few days filled with good memories. siria-2009I was sure that Lebanon and Jordan were going to be touristically impressive … but surprisingly it was Syria that left a mark on me, the place from which I keep a better memory. I was impressed by Damascus, chaotic and crowded but beautiful and vibrant at the same time, with an immense cultural life. I loved the crusading fortress of the Crac des Chevaliers, I felt the weight of the centuries crossing the ruins of Palmyra in the extreme east of the Roman Empire. I wandered in Aleppo, losing myself in the gigantic souk of Al-Madina. How to forget the Aleppo souk! Sadness overtakes me when I realize how today only ashes remain.

But above all, from Syria it is from its people what we got the best impression. Wherever we went we were greeted with a smile. They were delighted about our visit, and always willing to help us, showing a great sense of humour despite the tough conditions of Ramadan in the middle of August. I would not want to bore you with details of such an unforgettable journey.


The years passed. The war began, and I could not help feeling a tight knot in my stomach whenever I saw the news. It’s been 5 years of bad and worse news. Years of seeing how the very people who had treated me with such affection and kindness, had to flee their homes.

A few months ago I went to an exhibition about the refugees’ drama, and one of those shocking photos left me broken. It was a simple picture of a razor wire, but it was the message that impacted me. I reproduce the caption that accompanied it:

The Strength of Sacrifice
Depart with only what you are wearing. A blanket, a backpack, some savings, some clothes
Fill the pockets of memories, the lightest
Take the child out of the crib without knowing when you can feed him again
Close the door of your house for the last time
Put him in a boat or take him to a train anchored in the hope that it will take you where life exists
Faced with the certainty of knowing that he will die under the bombs, hope has a kind of doubt: that of whether he will come to know the other shore. The other side of the fences
After leaving everything you built, there is no fence high enough to curb the strength of this sacrifice

And then, I could not take it anymore. I had to do something. I searched the Internet, surfed dozens of websites, asked many people and talked to many others. It turned out that it was not so easy to find a project that combined an effective grassroots work and at the same time had no requirements on my part that I could not meet (being a doctor / teacher / translator …). I only had my enormous desire to be helpful, and 3 weeks of vacation I had fought to get, even working at weekends.

Then, one day, I was fortunate to stumble upon the Refugee Support website. I really liked the style they seemed to have of doing things. I read some testimonials from former volunteers and did not hesitate for a moment. I got in touch with them, and immediately Paul wrote to me to chat in videoconference. Soon we understood each other, and within a few days I had my trip planned.

On September 23rd I arrived at Thessaloniki airport, and after taking several transports, I finally arrived at the Hotel Manthos, which would become my home on the days I was in Alexandria. There I met John, alma mater of the project and Sarah, great volunteer for many months of RSG and who now continues its Bridge2 project. It was also my first contact with those who, with permission from the refugees, were the best thing that happened to me in all my experience: my fellow volunteers. It is hard to believe how deep personal ties can be created by sharing just a few days. That same night I laughed as much as I had in a long time, ending up at the “Desperados” pub, which soon would become a classic of our nights.


The next morning was my first group meeting, and then a day filled with information and the first contact with the camp and the refugees. I recognize that my first impression with the children was of “terror”. So much energy! A few days later I knew many of their names, and laughing and playing with them was the best time of day. Impossible to forget their laughter when we played the fool singing songs and playing the ukulele. It’s been over two months and I still miss them all the time.

After that first contact, days filled with activities that stretched as if they were weeks, and weeks that seemed like months. I find it difficult to tell you the number of things one could do throughout the day. In the same day it was possible to: drive the big van, buy yogurts at the supermarket, play with the children on the swings, attend to smiling customers in the supermarket, distribute tickets in field tents for the distribution of clothing, help nearly 30 people in the boutique to choose clothes from donations, organize boxes for a food delivery in our neighbour field in Veria, drive there and make the distribution for dozens of families, return, have a shower, dinner and finish the day having a drink in Desperados. We did not even have a minute of rest, nor did we need it. Enjoying every second of each task, laughing at simple happiness.


For 3 weeks I rested just one morning, in which the body told me “stop” and I had to return to the hotel half a day. Feeling that I was taking part in a project like this gave me some kind of “infinite energy”. There was no sleep or fatigue that could slow us down.

One day John and Paul asked me if I wanted to participate in a new project that they wanted to set up in another refugee camp, west of Greece: in Filippiada. I should help Pelle and Shannon, two former volunteers, starting from almost zero, to lay the foundations and begin the same activities that we carried out in Alexandria but in that chaotic camp south of Ioannina. Although I initially had mixed feelings about having to leave the city and the field I already considered my home, of course I said yes.

That last week in the field of Filippiada was an unforgettable experience. After meeting with UNHCR, we went to see the site, and found a much more disorganized camp than Alexandria’s, in worse conditions, and a huge warehouse full of useless junk. From that warehouse a certain distribution of food and clothing had been made, but not with the standards of organization, quality and dignity with which we were accustomed in Refugee Support. Dignity is the key word. We pulled our socks up and in less than a week we revolutionized the delivery system; cleaned, painted and arranged a room where we set up a men’s boutique, building the wooden shelves with our own hands. We also left practically ready the room that later would work as Mini Market. That first “strike force” with Shannon, Pelle and John did a spectacular job. Guys, you are great, and I miss you all.


In a week the progress was amazing, people were surprised with what we accomplished. Weeks after my departure I have proudly followed the development, feeling it as something of my own, and today the warehouse has nothing to do with what we found at the beginning of October.


I do not want to go on (even) more. I have dozens of pages written in my diary. I could talk about each of the people I’ve met, the disheartening stories that the refugees told us, or the beautiful moments I had with them, the absolutely wonderful people of Greece that I was lucky enough to meet, or their spectacular food. So many things can happen in 3 weeks. It’s incredible.

I just have words of thanks to John and Paul for the opportunity they gave me. I know I took much more than I contributed. Sometimes I wonder what moves a person to work as a volunteer on a project like this. In my case I do not know if it was a selfish impulse. But blessed are the selfish impulses that move hundreds of people to fight with all their strength in countering what a few undesirable unscrupulous continue to cause.

In this war that nobody understands, but that has marked the lives of so many people.


En el verano de 2009, apenas año y medio antes del inicio de la guerra, planeé con unos amigos un viaje en plan mochilero por Oriente Próximo, visitando Líbano, Jordania y Siria. Fueron unos días plagados de buenos recuerdos. Tenía seguro que Líbano y Jordania iban a ser turísticamente impresionantes… pero sorprendentemente fue Siria la que me marcó, de la que guardo un mejor recuerdo. Me impresionó Damasco, caótica y abarrotada pero hermosa y vibrante a la vez, con una inmensa vida cultural. Aluciné con la fortaleza cruzada del Crac des Chevaliers, sentí el peso de los siglos recorriendo las ruinas de Palmira, en su día extremo oriente del Imperio Romano. Callejeé en Alepo perdiéndome en el gigantesco zoco de Al-Madina. ¡Cómo olvidar el zoco de Alepo! La tristeza me invade al pensar que hoy sólo quedan cenizas.

Pero sobretodo, de Siria nos llevamos el recuerdo de su gente. Allá donde fuésemos nos recibían con una sonrisa. Estaban encantados con nuestra visita, y siempre se mostraban dispuestos a ayudarnos, mostrando un gran sentido del humor a pesar de las exigencias del Ramadán en pleno agosto. No quisiera aburriros con detalles de aquel inolvidable viaje.

Los años pasaron. La guerra empezó, y yo no podía evitar sentir un nudo en el estómago cada vez que veía las noticias. Han sido 5 años de malas y peores noticias. De ver cómo las mismas personas que me habían tratado con tanto afecto, tenían que huir de sus casas.

Hace unos meses fui a una exposición sobre el drama de los refugiados, y una de aquellas impactantes fotos me dejó roto. Era una simple foto de un alambre de espino, pero fue el mensaje lo que me llegó. Reproduzco el texto que la acompañaba:

La fuerza del sacrificio

Salir con lo que llevas puesto. Una manta, una mochila, unos ahorros, un poco de ropa.
Llenar los bolsillos de recuerdos, los más ligeros.
Sacar al niño de la cuna sin saber cuándo podrás volver a darle de comer.
Cerrar la puerta de tu casa por última vez.
Meterlo en una barca o subirlo a un tren anclado en la esperanza que os lleve donde existe la vida.
Ante la certeza de saber que morirá bajo las bombas, la esperanza tiene forma de duda: la de si llegará a conocer la otra orilla. El otro lado de las vallas.
Después de abandonar todo lo que construiste, no hay alambrada suficientemente alta para frenar la fuerza de este sacrificio.

Y entonces, no lo pude soportar más. Tenía que hacer algo. Busqué por Internet, navegué decenas de webs, pregunté a mucha gente y hablé con otros tantos. Resultó que no era tan fácil encontrar un proyecto que combinase una labor efectiva y que a la vez no tuviese requerimientos por mi parte que no pudiese cumplir (ser médico/profesor/traductor…). Yo sólo disponía de mis enormes ganas de ser útil, y 3 semanas de vacaciones que había peleado por conseguir trabajando incluso fines de semana.

Entonces, un día, tuve la fortuna de encontrarme por casualidad con la web de Refugee Support. Me gustó mucho el estilo que parecían tener de hacer las cosas. Leí algunos testimonios de antiguos voluntarios y no lo dudé un instante. Me puse en contacto con ellos, e inmediatamente Paul me escribió para charlar un rato en videoconferencia. Pronto nos entendimos, y a los pocos días ya tenía mi viaje planeado.

El 23 de Septiembre arrerricé en aeropuerto de Tesalónica, y tras tomar varios transportes, llegué por fin al Hotel Manthos, la que sería mi casa en los días que estuve en Alexandria. Allí conocí a John, alma mater del proyecto, así como a Sarah, gran colaboradora durante muchos meses de RSG y que ahora continúa su proyecto Bridge2. También fue mi primer contacto con los que, con permiso de los refugiados, fueron lo mejor que me pasó en toda mi experiencia: mis compañeros voluntarios. Parece mentira cómo pueden crearse profundos lazos personales apenas compartiendo unos pocos días. Aquella misma noche disfruté y reí como en mucho tiempo, terminando en el pub “Desperados” que pronto se convertiría en un clásico de nuestras noches.

A la mañana siguiente fue mi primera reunión de grupo, y después una jornada repleta de información y el primer contacto con el campo y los refugiados. Reconozco que mi primera impresión con los niños fue de “terror”. ¡Qué terremotos! A los pocos días ya me sabía muchos nombres, me partía de risa y jugar con ellos era el mejor momento del día. Imposible olvidar sus risas cuando hacíamos el tonto cantando canciones y tocando el ukelele. Han pasado más de dos meses y todavía les extraño muchas veces.

A partir de aquel primer contacto, días llenos de actividades que se estiraban como si fuesen semanas, y semanas que parecían meses. Me cuesta relatar la cantidad de cosas que uno podía hacer a lo largo del día: en una mismo jornada era posible conducir la enorme furgoneta, comprar yogures en el supermercado, jugar con los niños en los columpios, atender a sonrientes clientes en el supermercado, repartir tickets en las tiendas del campo para el reparto de ropa, ayudar a casi 30 personas en la boutique a elegir entre la ropa de la donaciones, organizar en cajas otro reparto de comida para nuestro campo vecino de Veria, conducir hasta allí y hacer la distribución para decenas de familias, volver, ducha, cena y acabar el día tomando una copa en el Desperado. Ni teníamos un minuto de descanso, ni lo necesitábamos. Disfrutando cada segundo de cada una de las tareas, riendo de simple felicidad.

Durante 3 semanas no descansé más que una mañana, en la que el cuerpo me dijo “stop” y me tuve que volver al hotel medio día. Sentir que estaba colaborando en un proyecto así me proporcionaba una especie de “energía infinita”. No había sueño ni cansancio que nos frenase.

Un día John y Paul me preguntaron si quería participar en un nuevo proyecto que querían montar en otro campo de refugiados, al oeste de Grecia: el campo de Filippiada. Se trataba de unirme a Pelle y Shannon, dos antiguos voluntarios para, partiendo casi de cero, sentar las bases e iniciar las mismas actividades que realizábamos en Alexandria en aquel caótico campo al sur de Ioannina. Aunque tuve al principio sentimientos encontrados por tener que dejar la ciudad y el campo que ya consideraba mi casa, por supuesto que les dije que sí.

Aquella última semana en el campo de Filippiada fue una experiencia inolvidable. Tras reunirnos con ACNUR, fuimos a ver el sitio, y encontramos un campo mucho más desorganizado que el de Alexandría, con peores condiciones, y un almacén enorme lleno de trastos inservibles, desde el que se había estado haciendo cierto reparto de comida y ropa, pero no con los estándares de organización, calidad y dignidad con la que en Refugee Support estábamos acostumbrados. Dignidad es la palabra clave. Nos pusimos las pilas, y en menos de una semana revolucionamos el sistema de reparto, limpiamos, pintamos y arreglamos una sala en la que montamos una boutique de caballeros, construyendo los estantes en madera con nuestras propias manos. Dejamos también prácticamente lista la habitación que haría después de Mini Market. Aquel primer “comando” de ataque con Shannon, Pelle y John, hizo un trabajo espectacular. Sois muy grandes, y os echo de menos también.

En una semana los progresos fueron alucinantes, la gente estaba sorprendida con lo que conseguimos. Semanas después de mi partida he siguiendo con orgullo el desarrollo, sintiéndolo como algo propio, y actualmente el campo no tiene nada que ver con el que nos encontramos a principios de Octubre.

No quiero extenderme (todavía) más. Tengo escritas decenas de páginas en mi diario. Podría hablar de cada una de las personas que he conocido, de las descorazonadoras historias que nos contaban los refugiados, o de los bellos momentos que tuve con ellos, de la absolutamente maravillosa gente de Grecia que tuve la suerte de conocer, o de su espectacular comida. Tantas cosas pueden ocurrir, en 3 semanas. Es increíble.

Sólo tengo palabras de agradecimiento a John y Paul por la oportunidad que me dieron. Sé que me llevé mucho más de lo que aporté. A veces me planteo qué mueve a una persona a trabajar como voluntario en un proyecto como este. En mi caso no se si fue un impulso egoísta. Pero benditos los impulsos egoístas que mueven a cientos de personas para luchar con todas sus fuerzas en contrarrestar lo que unos pocos indeseables sin escrúpulos siguen causando.

En esta guerra que nadie entiende, pero que ha marcado las vidas de tantas personas.

Share this:

Related stories

Join Our Community

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

There are so many things you can do to support refugees. Sign up now and be part of our global community of volunteers, activists and people who care.