Code of Conduct
We want to do the best possible job we can for the people we support and we have a responsibility to avoid exposing them to further harm. We also have a duty of care to all volunteers.
This Code of Conduct is based on the UN’s humanitarian principles and it is supported by our Safeguarding Policy.
- Avoid attachment: You need to be friendly but you need to avoid building friendships. It makes it harder to treat everyone equally. Also, you will leave and that can have consequences on the people you leave behind. Practically, that means no socializing and no goodbyes.
- Smile and be super courteous: Treat everyone as if they are the most valued member of your club, or customer in your shop
- Get off your phone: Checking messages or taking calls are part of life but never scroll at work. Looking at your phone is not being super courteous
- Ask what you can do: things may be quiet but there are always things to do. Ask!
- Always follow our policies and the instructions of the Coordinator: Some of these may be difficult to do but they are the result of long experience
- Never question a Refugee Support policy in front of the people we are supporting: Public disagreements are unsettling and undermine us all
- Do not offer legal or medical advice or opinions about political developments: Our role is humanitarian support and we direct them towards professionals who can help
- Wear our ID: We need to be identifiable and wearing our t-shirts will help you do your job
- Dress appropriately: It’s a working environment with cultural sensitivities so to be clear, please wear shorts/ skirts that are at least knee length
- Don’t talk publicly or post about individuals you meet and do not take photos: Confidentiality must be respected
- Monitor your own wellbeing and that of other volunteers: We’re all here to look after each other
- Do not intervene in any physical violence: Notify the Coordinator immediately
- Privately report any abuse or anything you feel uncomfortable about: In the first instance report to a Coordinator or follow our Safeguarding Policy (available on our website)
- Tell us if you have an idea. We will always listen to new ideas and suggestions